Recently I've come to the conclusion that Sammy's preferred habitat is anyplace that involves dirt. Fortunately for us, 99% of our yard is a lovely mixture of desert sand, rocks and random weeds (the other 1% is mostly dead or dying landscaping)--the perfect environment for a toddler that loves to play with dirt.
I brought out a few of his toys that I thought would be perfectly suited for outdoor play, like his shovel and pail and his bulldozer, and let him dig and play to his heart's content.
After awhile, Sammy decided to lay back and soak up some rays. (I was pretty tempted to do the same--it was such a gorgeous afternoon.) He also took this opportunity to watch the planes fly overhead and point out each and every one.
After that brief respite, Sammy moved on to pointing out all of the cars and trucks that drove by the house; one vehicle drove by and he started pointing excitedly and saying, "Daddy!" over and over again. I didn't think much of it--one of Sammy's new favorite things to do is to walk from room to room during the day, saying "Daddy?" over and over again. But then look who walked up?!
Captain Husband! Apparently I need to give Sammy a bit more credit when it comes to vehicle recognition.