✍ All sorts of new and exciting things coming up for the cast of L to the Third so stay tuned!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Texture Thursday/LEM Photo Challenge: Leaves/Fall

The lovely and talented Ashley and Jill have teamed together to share their awesome photo editing tips and tricks; this week’s prompt/theme is leaves so I used a photo of a purple wildflower that I photographed on last weekend's trip to the Monjeau Lookout Tower in Lincoln National Park.  Here's what I did in Picnik:

1. Manually adjusted the exposure;
2. Manually adjusted the shadows to darken things up a bit;
3.  Under the advanced settings tab, I selected curves and then applied the dramatic sepia setting with both the color override and fade set to 0%;
4. Applied the Kim Klassen texture, water-stained frame, in multiply mode at 30%;
5. Applied the Kim Klassen texture, autumn burst, in multiply mode at 80%;
6. Cropped the photo and rounded off the corners.

Here's a side-by-side comparison:


I normally shy away from using textures on my photos because I'm always afraid of going too far with it and taking a perfectly fine picture and turning it into a hot mess, but I think I actually managed to strike a decent balance this time around.  What do you think?


In addition to Texture Thursday, I'm also linking this photo up to the LEM fall photo challenge--be sure to check out this week's other awesome entries by clicking below:

The Daily Wyatt

And don't forget--if you'd like to learn how to make your photos go from good to wow, be sure to check out what's going on over at Jill and Ashley's blogs:

20 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

I think they're perfectly balanced, L!

Great colour combo too.

christine said...

Love, love, love this. I might even want to put it in a little frame in my house - it is in my two fav colors :)

Ashley Sisk said...

This looks beautiful with texture and I love the square crop.

melifaif said...

I LOVE it!!! Now please do share...I did not realize you could use pre-sets in Picnik??? Spill it....please!!!!

Selena @ Stoneyville said...

Beautiful I love the depth that the texture gave to the image.

Sarah said...

I love your edit. So gorgeous!

Cedar said...

I think the texture really works! Fantastic photo and edit!

Jaymi said...

wow the texture makes such a HUGE difference in that edit--I love it!

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I think textures look great when you're looking at someone elses's photo - when it's your own, it's hard to be objective!

Courtney K. said...

Beautiful use of texture! Loving the square crop and the great contrast!

Lori said...

You did a great job! I tend to go over board I think when using textures. This is beautiful.

Dina @ 4 Lettre Words said...

Such amazing color! Love that edit.

Mia said...

Stunning! Well done. :)

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

That color is amazing- and I really love the texture you added!

Alicia said...

I think the purple really pops out because of the texture. Great job.

Carrie said...

That is a gorgeous flower and perfect edit! Love it!

Lou Belcher said...

I love how the texture you applied brought out the colors of the background. Beautiful.

Lou

Kim said...

You know how I adore macro. I love the texture, too.

withoutadornment said...

I think your edit is perfect! I love how the texture just adds so much more and how you make the flower so much more vibrant!

Roshanda "ShonEjai" Glenn said...

Your edits are fantastic. You took the photos to a whole new level!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...